If you didn't know it already: MY PARENTS ARE AWESOME. Actually I'm surrounded by the BEST PARENTS also having great in-laws. They are all so giving, loving, supportive, eager and willing. I can hardly believe how lucky we are to have both sets of parents loving and active in our lives, we are blessed.
But this past week my parents have gone ABOVE and BEYOND. My mom rearranged her entire schedule to split up a week of days (more like a ten day period) between Luke and Bella. I KNOW how hard she has worked to make this happen and to make it SUPER SPECIAL for each of them. Yep, it would be easier to take both the kids together for a shorter amount of time, that is true. But she knows the value of having each of them one-on-one. Although it is hard work and hard to squeeze time out like that, I know that it is FOREVER stamped on my children's hearts. Last night Mike and I were lying in bed looking at the photos from Bella's AMAZING day at Gaga's and he said "she works so hard to make this happen and I hope the kids always want to spend this kind of time with her!" Why would they not?
Here are TEN ways my parents are awesome (in the spirit of "ten on tuesday," I had to limit mysef because their are WAY more reasons than ten!)
1. Airplanes. They took my children on and AIRPLANE RIDE FOR FUN. Now honestly that is how they have been coming to MPLS lately but still! They had to buy the kids each a one-way ticket and they did and enjoyed the process of taking them each on one leg of an airplane ride!
2. My mom planned each of their days with them in mind ... their likes, dislikes, abilities and special skills. For instance, Luke was kept VERY BUSY and on the go most of his trip because he needs constant stimulation ... and Bella LOVES animals so her first stop? The Children's Farm! She fed baby goats!
3. Legoland. Twice. WHOA. That is something only a grandparent could do I think. After knowing Lukey went, Bella had her undies in a twist and really wanted to go too. Spoiled much? I suppose that IS what grandparents do best! (Bella has a photo there too but I didn't load it!)
4. Special food! Whether its pizza, mac and cheese, Dunkin Donuts or McDs ... the kids are living large this past week and I'm quite sure ... enjoying every single minute of it!
5. Their LOVE for them is unmistakable and evident in everything they do. They love with a firm but gentle hand. The kids know Grammy and Grampy are the boss ... even though they push the limits with them too! I love that Grammy and Bella have a special connection as do Grampy and Lukey. It was also cool that Grammy and Lukey could bond a bit with their time together too! :)
6. Not only are they awesome grandparents, they are awesome PARENTS! How they can continue to balance it all and work, is beyond me. A kid in college, a kid in Colorado and a kid in Minnesota and somehow they manage to balance it all. Even with Luke last week then managed to squeeze in a visit with Tori! At the end of this week they are headed to Colorado for a visit with Steve and Annie. In their "other life" they must wear capes! ;)
7. Treats galore! As a grandparent it must be pretty awesome to "buck the rules" and be able to say "YES" more than you say "NO!" I know that there is always a time for NO and I also am aware that kids will always ask for the big kahuna EVERY TIME (ie. Bella asked for the biggest Lego set yesterday ... to got a smaller one and guess what? She was just as happy!). It must be fun as a grandparent to say YES. I think my parents are super good at saying YES and making the kids feel special. Heck, they say YES to me a lot and make me feel special!!
8. LOVE. These kids KNOW they are loved and safe in Grammy and Grampy's arms. Neither of them cried or fussed or made any whimper as they were whisked away for their time with my parents. And I know they are safe and loved every second of their time together...I didn't whimper or fuss either! :) Now NOAH on the other hand?!?!? Poor baby was "supa sad to not go on da airpane wif Gaga and Bampi." He came home after dropping off Bella/Gaga/Grampy at the airport in complete TEARS. It was so so sad. Here the rule is you have to be at least 4 to go have this special time with them.
9. They never forget their biggest Grandchild ... although I don't know if Zach will be making trips with them to Lego land anytime soon (BUT, I bet he'd like it!!!) Here we were trading kids last week in Des Moines and we also got to meet up with the eldest gradchild. The kids all love being able to see one another and the kids LOVE talking about their big brother. :)
10. My parents are nothing short of amazing. I learn from them EVERY SINGLE DAY on how to be a great parent and how to be an AWESOME grandparent. Selfless giving, love beyond measure, endless support and energy that somehow seems boundless. I am in awe of them and SO GRATEFUL that they are in our lives. Words cannot express how truly, madly and deeply I love them (and I'm pretty sure my kiddos feel the exact same way!)
Thank you Mom and Dad for making these memories with Bella and Luke ... and eventually Noah. I know they are priceless for EVERYONE. xoxoxxo