Since I mentioned that we'd done a few home projects, I thought I'd share my favorite one. Unfortunately, there was no before photo (bad blogger!). We just decided one day "it was time" and the next thing you know Mike was building ...
These are our new cubbies in their "nearly finished" state. The final touch will be doors over the top cupboards leaving the bottoms open. But we are sooooo very close and they are soooooo very usable!
Let's back up a bit.
This year was the year we THOUGHT we were going to move. After a lot of soul searching ... we've decided to stay put a bit longer and created more of a "five year plan" for this home. To me, that meant tweaking some current home situations to improve our overall quality of living AS WELL AS prep it for the future home owners.
Top of my list? A better more organized solution for ALL OF THE STUFF that comes from having three littles in Minnesota. The shoes, the boots, the coats for every season ... OY! It's cray. So, we contemplated many things and had a bid done for an addition onto the front of our home. It seemed like it should be simple to create this 4x7 space but that bid came in at the tune of $15,000. WHOA. Not so much the investment we wanted to put into our "five year plan."
And back the the drawing board we went. We tossed around the front of our garage (the space that was formerly a catch-all of stuff, lockers, disordered shelving and our garage fridge). We measured and found that in fact we likely DO have enough room to fit this in that space. We also found that if I didn't pull my car in so far, it freed up even more space.
And then Mike got to work. I sketched out what I wanted and we discussed sizing and taped it out on the floor. I knew I wanted the seats to be able to lift up for more storage space for each child AND I wanted it to look nice and finished. I wanted the bead board on the back for a nice look and Mike had the grand idea of the lights. THE LIGHTS ARE AWESOME. He wired the lights to go on when the garage door lifts. IT IS AMAZING.
Anyway. Mike designed the entire thing from scratch and made it. I think in the end we spent less than $500 on this entire project. WHOA. Um, if you are calculating ... that is a savings of $14,500. ;)
It's taken the better part of the summer to get everyone "trained" on using the cubbies and as we head into fall I am a bit nervous to transition to boots and cold weather gear and how that will all work for the cubbies ... but, I am determined to make it work!
I'll share a few more of our other improvement projects in the next couple of days! We are so pleased with the current state of our home and we are enjoying our little upgrades VERY much! I guess I have the "five year plan" to thank for that!